Saturday 7 October 2017

A bit of jiggery-pokery

Ruminating this morning on how best to assemble the legs, I went down to Operations to see if I could borrow a framing square from my mate Jason who helped out with the initial cutting-up of plywood last week. We got chatting about it and he suggested a jig to keep things consistent. Fortunately, there was one sheet of plywood left - the one which morphs into a third bed in the caravan. A few screw holes wouldn't hurt it, so with some of the off-cuts from the component manufacture stage, this evening I set about making the jig.
I hoped to get all of the widest leg assemblies done. The jig was so successful, I managed to complete ALL the assemblies, a total of ten, in three widths and two heights!
The first leg assembly set up on the jig, ready for pilot drilling the screw holes


The first assembly completed. The top of the girder (when fitted) is about 1200 above floor level. This is so that the layout can sit over the top of the spare washing machine!

The collection of leg assemblies - six 560Wx1200H, two 382Wx950H, and two 255Wx1200H
That's it for now, really need to get some sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment