Wednesday 4 October 2017

L-o, L-o!

I've made my first L Girder!
There are ten 1800mm long girders to be assembled, plus some shorter ones. Tonight I managed to finish cutting, drilling and counter-sinking the gussets for the braces, then turned my attention to pilot drilling all the 1800mm flanges. Once these were done I was able to glue & clamp up two girders, then clearance drill and counter-sink the flanges, and screw everything together.
At that point I discovered the flexible lead on one of the drills was pretty dodgy - thankfully I had a spare plug to replace the old moulded one.
The 16 small (150x150) gussets, ready for drilling & counter-sinking
The complete set of components, ready to begin girder assembly

The first girder!
On my way home last night I spotted a folding saw horse similar to the pair above, on a chuck-out pile, so I added it to my collection. Just needs a couple of wing nuts to replace the missing ones and secure the legs.
Time for an "early" night.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment